BMT is a leading supplier of engineering and program management services in the defence industry, working with both government and private sector organizations.
The Joint Support Ship (JSS) Project The JSS project is intended to provide replacements for the existing ‘Protecteur’ Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment vessels in service with the Royal Canadian Navy. BMT's role came early on. Over several years we provided support to the Royal Canadian Navy in developing the vessel, starting from first operational requirements through to a full Contract Design:
- BMT initially worked with the Royal Canadian Navy to develop the first requirements and concepts of operation, approaching the requirements development from a holistic perspective to ensure function was balanced and maximised as much as possible within the resources projected
- Once the initial requirements were consolidated, work was then carried forward into a Preliminary Design that required a high level compliance to the JSS requirements
- Finally, the task expanded significantly as the Preliminary Design was developed into a full Contract Design for the Royal Canadian Navy. While our bespoke design was not chosen, the design process and associated risk analysis was a critical enabler for determining the optimum solution for Canada.
Program execution drew on BMT Fleet Technology sites across Canada with support from three sister BMT companies in the United Kingdom. In all, eight different offices spanning nine time zones came together to deliver the fully fleshed out Classification Design for the Royal Canadian Navy's review.
Below is a selection of other defence projects that BMT Fleet Technology has worked on:
- Joint Support Ship (JSS) Class Design
- Joint Support Ship (JSS) Concept and Preliminary Design
- Arctic Off-shore Patrol (AOPS) Preliminary Design
- Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Preliminary Design
- Victoria In-Service Support Contract (VISSC)
- Ship Evacuation Data Collection for the UK Royal Navy
- Canadian Department of National Defence Maritime Coastal Defence Vessel Vibration and Fatigue Assessment Study
- Emergency Docking of Victoria Class Submarines Options Analysis FMF Cape Breton
- Sustainability Study of Provision of Fleet Maintenance Facility Cape Breton
- Diving Tender Options Analysis
- Submarine Pressure Hull Materials
- Advanced Material for Light Armoured Vehicle Definition Study
JSS Concept Design
A pen and paper driveby of the Joint Support Ship concept design