Intermediate Naval Architect
BMT Fleet Technology (BMT) is recruiting for an Intermediate Naval Architect.
We are an independent consultancy specializing in engineering, science and management services in the defence, energy and transports sectors.
We recruit talented individuals from Canada and around the world from new grad to seasoned pro.
Our passion for engineering excellence is contagious! Not only do we offer challenging and rewarding projects, we understand that flexibility is important in today’s business world. As a result we offer full-time and contracting options, as well as competitive compensation and benefits, training and development programs and an orientation program designed to welcome all team members with the same friendly enthusiasm!
The successful candidate will join a team of outstanding professionals, where they will contribute to the development of naval architecture components of ship designs and the in-service support of a variety of platforms.
The successful candidate will have many of the following:
- A university degree in naval architecture;
- Will have registered with PEO (or other provincial engineering body) as an Engineer in Training, or have a P. Eng designation;
- Ability to undertake with minimum supervision, hand calculations for structural analyses (bending moments, UDL’s, point loads etc.) to analyze local stress and be able to calculate shear area etc. of ship sections;
- Experience explaining the key influencers on ship stability, including the relative positions of CoB, CoG, Metacentre etc. in various situations;
- Ability to explain the purpose and key influencers in undertaking an inclining experiment;
- Good understanding of design and interpretation of drawings - able to correctly interpret General Arrangement, structural and other ship system drawings;
- Experience with drafting and software;
- Solid analytical skills;
- Experience with GHS software or equivalent for intact stability analyses;
- Ability to undertake with minimum supervision FEA analyses;
- Experience with simple resistance and powering estimations (e.g. using Holtrop & Mennen approaches);
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Strong communication skills;
- Minimum of 1 year of demonstrated post graduate experience in naval architecture, three years preferred; and
- Ability to qualify for Secret II Security Clearance.
For further information on the application process and the benefits of working at BMT Fleet Technology Limited, please visit the careers section of our website at www.fleetech.com.
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit as follows:
- “Intermediate Naval Architect” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
Interested individuals are invited to submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BMT Fleet Technology
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
We are committed to employment equity. BMT welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.